Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pop culture strategy insight moment

I found myself reading about the Kardashian's today.  I didn't really even know much about who they were, aside from Kim marrying Kanye.  I really liked Kanye's music a while back, way before Bonaroo incident.  Though I don't listen to Kanye's music now. So my radar was piqued by Kim pregnancy, which coincided with mine, but the interest was not sufficiently piqued for me to read about her.
Today, I read how she used to massage Paris Hilton's feet, and arranged her closet, and be the Paris slave.  I guess I have an unexplored loathing for Paris Hilton and felt briefly sorry for Kim?  I was dragged into the article and voila, I wasted a solid 20 minutes reading up on the Kardashian's!
In terms of writings, today, I've been thinking about this strategy of latching on to trendy/famous people/posts/reading materials in order to get some buzz on my blog reader count.  I consider myself colored by feminism, I subscribe to news outlets that espouse Feminism, i.e. Jezebel.  I fell victim to trashy content wrapped up in feminist twist in order to raise the readership numbers. No wonder it's called Jezebel--betrayer.  Goodness gracious! I'm seeing many more actors/musicians/posts/news utilize this strategy. 
I haven't decided yet whether to unsubscribe from pop news because I have a thirst for this new form of communication--blogging, and technology know hows.
Wow, I have to actually say thanks Kim example for waking me up to one strategy to pull you in trash content on the web!

No comments: