Monday, August 19, 2013

Creating a Comfy Cottage --(one room at a time)

So a couple of blogs back, I mentioned that the saws and drills were buzzing around me. My father has a cottage which he has had Duff build last year. It's not completely finished and haphazardly furnished when I began living here after my return from Georgetown, SC to finish a nursing program at UNC-CH.

One of my goals while living here in the next two years, is to make it cute, and comfy from inside to outside--garden/landscape included--my way of thanking my folks for being supportive of us while I'm in school. The creative spirit in me is not going to sleep. Though I have to say that my creativity is constrained by academia (limited time) and student budget.

So we're going to do this, one room at a time.

Starting with the bathroom. I'm attaching a photo of the bathroom, most of the items are finds, repurposed, etc.

I have to say, Duff has some kind of radar for finding useful items.

1.The circular shower. This shower was returned in the box by someone else at Lowes Hardware store. The box is all torn up and so it's resold at considerably reduced in price. :)

2. The matching circular towel shelf--from the Habitat store. It's $40, but the manager, who was holding our son Noah at time of purchased, informed us that everything was half off. Then at the register, he asked while winking, $10 is half of $40, right? We said, Yes :)

3. The handtowel holder is another score from the Habitat store. I think I paid $1.00 for it.

4. The medicine cabinet was purchased by my dad for $30 from someone else who was upgrading their house.

5. The wall colors, which caused a heated discussion between us is a mis-tint from Lowes for $5. I painted the wall and wanted to do an accent wall. This painting process occurred during night time. I saw this blue and it reminded me of us living by the Malibu ocean. So I wanted to paint one wall this refreshing color. The other color--white, is an antique white, and I wanted to do a wash. Duff wanted me to mix the two to create a new and original color and paint the bathroom walls just one color. (By the way, that's what I consider my expertise--color creation or coming up with just that right tint.) But well, perhaps, it was the time constraint getting to me. But I didn't want to mix the two, so we ended up doing an accent wall instead and Duff painted over my beautiful antique wash with that plain antique white color.

When we woke up the next day, I didn't like the mistinted Malibu ocean color in the daylight. Lesson learned, don't choose your colors at night! But aaaahhhh! We'll have to redo that another day, because we are now slowly working on Noah's sunroom/playroom! Photos to come soon....

No comments: