Sunday, May 26, 2013

Memorial's Day Weekend Finds

This weekend of Memorial Day was quite a whirlwind of study, travel, fun, and treasure hunting.

I always love to search for things that can be re-used. It's such a score finding things that I think brings beauty to my life and the lives of people around me.

We were able to stop at a church yard sale where they were selling grab bags for $7. I was able to score some nice brand shoes and summer sandals (all of which didn't fit me). And you may wonder why I bought them. But I'll get to that.

On the road down the cabin, we stopped by to get some fruits, where we met some Vets. I had an opportunity to thank them, donate to the fund and I got a little plastic rose for the gesture. (Can't forget the Vets this weekend!!!!)

So we headed down to the cabin, where my son Noah had a wonderful time playing on a inflatable "pool" on the deck that his daddy built. He was sooo happy to spend time with daddy and his aunts and mawmaw.

At the cabin, I was happy to give the shoes away. The shoes and sandals were put to use immediately. It's sooo enjoyable to be able to give, to get out of the box of thinking only for oneself. I received some nice presents too.

On our trip back, we passed by an estate sale, on a historic Corinthian house in Carthage, NC. We swung around like vultures (At least, I felt like one). I walked through someone's home and the first thing I encountered was a grand piano. I felt an immediate kinship to the lady who passed away. I looked through the music books, the collection of books, decorations, remnants of a beautiful life. We picked up a nice set of antique, red furniture, silver tea set, and these lovely wall hangings.

I always examine paintings or pieces of art that are being sold at flea markets/yard sales/estate sales. These pieces are expressions of someone's sense of beauty, someone's inner world at some point in time. I like to imagine the lady who passed away drew these pieces because it was in her room, properly framed. But who knows?

Hope you had a nice weekend too! Tell me about your finds :)

xo, Jem

No comments: