Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Barely Private Show





As an artist, I try to connect the dots. Where the lines of thoughts seem disconnected, I analyze the root cause from a variety of angles--a historical/philosophical/political/even religious perspective.

I take my subject matter from popular American culture.

Because I can only express who I am, I explore the disconnect we experience between our ideals and our actions.

In my particular case, as an immigrant, I include news occurrences and developments overseas, the experiences of other immigrants from around the world who assimilate into the American culture, and the experience of living in this society with often black and white moral/ethical codes.

Through my work, I try to make sense of the disjunct and broken lines of thought.

My strict religious upbringing, combined with partaking in brain junk food, experiencing truly awkward situations, or coming across perspectives that are outrageous, I know that I am simply experiencing what many of us experience.

Often difficult to understand, we wrapped these thoughts and experiences as hidden secrets in our minds and lives or we do not examine our attitudes. Not accepting and appreciating the complete picture, we create a world that makes sense according to our ideals without examining the very foundation of our ideals. We impose our ideals as criticisms, religious dogma, and we become intolerant towards others. Imagining ourselves safe in lines of thinking that "make sense", when in fact, foundationally, they do not!

With this work, I hope to share my twisted sense of humor, my discoveries, and hope you can join me in the film opening at the Gershwin Hotel on July 12, and different venues in the South.

Come with your sense of humor on, come with an open mind and heart. Wait until the end to ask questions, which I'll endeavor to answer in a Q&A portion.

The Barely Private Show from jemima boncales on Vimeo.

No comments: