Sunday, February 13, 2011

To my friends

I've noticed that recently my fb site is packed full of environmental articles.


To maintain my connection to my party friends, fb friends, christian friends, and social connections-- dictates that I shouldn't obsess too much about one particular subject---um, and become a bore so to speak :)


There are so many social justice issues and poverty the rest of the world is facing that to make a concentrated effort on environmental issue seems, uncaring and cold?


But let me tell you that having lived in a different part of the world, in an area where pollution, environmental degradation ran rampant, and lack of proper waste management existed, I understood that a lack of concern about rubbish and the environment, exacerbates the feeling of poverty, and insure that the future is bleak.


In 2007, the United Nations Security Council put climate change on it's agenda, warning that it could serve as a catalyst for new conflicts around the world leading to migration, reduction of global food supply, increased risk for infectious diseases, and fighting over limited resources.


So I guess, my involvement and passion for doing something about the environmental issue stems from my desire to prevent future problems, looking ahead, and at the same time from my connection to nature, the ocean, the trees, the birds, and people--and in Biblical terms (because this is the narrative of how I was raised) we were given "Stewardship" over Earth. God called what was created "good" and in the New Testament, when the centurion calls Jesus "Good Master"--Jesus replied, "Why call me Good? Do you know only God is Good?" If you connect the dots--you'll see, what I see, and what hundreds of holy men and women, and shamans across the globe, found--our connection to the earth brings us closer to the Light, and strengthens our connection to each other.


Share this journey with me, discover the issues with me, and let's take Stewardship to another level.


No comments: